Located on scenic Bayou Liberty near Slidell, Louisiana, Camp Salmen is historically significant for many reasons:
- It consists of land originally awarded as land grants by Spanish governor Estevan Miro in 1785 and 1787
- It hosted a trading post in the Bayou Liberty region which was probably built in the early years of the 1800s
- It is the site of a major ferry across Bayou Liberty which operated from the early 1800s into the early 1900s
- The Salmen Brick and Lumber Co. acquired the property in 1901, and conducted timbering operations there for many years before donating the property to the Boy Scouts in 1924
- The scouts used the property for nearly 60 years as its regional camp reservation for the Greater New Orleans Area
Illuminating the property's heritage is a 200-year-old French Creole-style building, which was probably built in the first decade of the 1800s and served as the major trading post in the Bayou Liberty region for over a century. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.